May 26, 2017

Business Tax

Anyone opening a business with gross annual sales in excess of $3,000 must acquire a business license from the county clerk within 20 days of commencing business activity. A business that gross sales or income is less than $10,000 can obtain a Minimal Activity license for $15 and no additional taxes are paid to the Department of Revenue. A business that gross sales or income is more than $10,000 obtains a Standard Business liecense for $15 and pays taxes to the Department of Revenue at the end of the fiscal year.

New business owners should also contact the Tennessee Department of Revenue. A sales tax permit is required in most instances.

Business employing any individuals must also obtain a FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number).

A new business owner should also check to see if any other state or federal permits are required in the area of business activity, such as federal firearms license, state cosmetology license, realtor’s license etc.

New business owners should check with your Planning Commission first, either City or County, to make sure your new business is in an area zoned for commercial use. The Planning Commission will supply you with an approval letter that needs to be brought to the Courthouse before applying online.

To receive an application, please go to the forms link. The completed application, the Planning approval letter, and $15.00 fee can be returned by mail to:

Peggy Henderson, Hamblen County Clerk
511 West Second North Street
Morristown, TN 37814

Note: When a business closes or transfers ownership, the owner must close out that business license with the County Clerk’s office and the Department of Revenue, and any outstanding taxes must be paid in full. If this step has not been completed, the new owner can be liable for the outstanding taxes that were incurred by the previous owner.

Your business must be a smoke free environment unless exempt (TCA 39-17-1806B)

Businesses that need a Sales Tax Number may contact the Tennessee Department of Revenue at 865-594-6101. The office is located on Henley Street in Knoxville.